The Hat (okay, first hat) 1

You saw the supplies, now here’s the sequence:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

  • The Pendleton wool Melton outer and black heavy satin liner get a try on.
  • The wire and closure get cut and inserted, whipped onto the seam allowances.
  • The milliner’s tape gets measured, reduced by an inch and sewn onto the hat, not easy around the narrow curve.
  • The facing gets whipped in.
  • The tape is sewn down.
  • The embellishments are placed, done!

And I wore it in time for Kim’s hat challenge! April 7th, at the Portland Rose Festival Open House.

[All done but the whining…]
The wire was hard to cut! I dented it and then was able to snap it. That should have been a sign…when I tried to ease the hat into a drooping shape, the wire snapped at the back. Or maybe it slipped out of the cover. It was all sewn in place, time to go, so I didn’t tear it apart to see. This wire was too heavy and brittle for this hat. The plastic cord I got was too light. There must be a middle weight one. Back to hatsupply.com, just up the road from me.

The pattern said the hats should have an inner drawstring to fit them, except for this view (what?!). This one needed it, too! In the pix, it was all over the place, falling off to one side or the other, jaunty cap! Not staying put! I tried a hat pin but my hair was not helping. oh well.

Next, a summery hat! 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

One comment

  1. Pingback: Titanic/Suffragette dress- Red Straw Hat! « domesticnews

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s