Dress 4016 Collar 5

The collar embroidery was very intimidating and lots of fun. I’ve never done this, so I looked for tutorials!
I decided I’d treat this as Broderie Anglaise  (shadow work another time- what a great idea!).  I could see that there were two sizes of eyelets, so here’s the eyelet tutorial I used, because it had the prettiest stitching. 🙂

I also went to the Library, my favorite needlepoint shop, then the sewing machine store for advice, everyone agreeing that I didn’t have time to embroider before the June 9th Parade- nooo! I don’t have an embroidery machine so I dragged out my old 9mm sewing machine and the frayed edges splaying out from test curves looked Awful. Back to “By Hand, thank you!”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I started with the edge stitching, then the small eyelets around the rim, just the right size for my old awl.

Next came the triangle shapes, satin stitch beside them, tiny outlines, needle placement with a pinch for snipping guidance, trimming, then buttonhole stitch around.

The eyelets in the middle circles were bigger, maybe too big for my awl and I was afraid to trim them! I used the needle to judge center, then stretched with a tapestry needle, then the blunt awl. I trimmed an X, leaving several edge threads.  So, here’s the eyelet sequence:

  • place tiny outline  stitches
  • snip out the stabilizer ( I was afraid the stitches would be loose after it dissolved).
  • pierce to find center and snip an X
  • buttonhole stitch around
  • bury the last stitch button hole loop
  • pull until it is an even edge
  • bury the tread under several  stitches and trim it- done!
About when Cassie, another 1912 sewer, showed blue marks that wouldn’t come out, I thought about the printer ink on the soluble paper. I tore off the excess stabilizer, then soaked the piece in hot water so it would completely dissolve. What a Mistake!!
Hot water will melt the toner and set it. I SO wish I’d read about this in advance. I tried a series of removal steps, can’t recommend any as much as printing with a thinner line, a light color, then dissolving in COLD WATER. You can see the black marks and the trepidation with trimming the edge. When it is completely dry, I’ll test the fraycheck and lightly dab the edges…

completed collar embroidery

Advertisements

5 comments

  1. Pingback: 1912 Dress #4016 Summary! « domesticnews

  2. Wow, that is amazing work!
    Thank you so much for the great detail – I’m in the beginning of #1000 Ladies Blouse from the VPLL1912 project, and had a hard time finding information on how to do the scalloped edges for the collar and busque.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s