Halted last night, discouraged by a dowdy muslin. And no, dress form isn’t standing up straight, tough day for her, too. Escape to bedtime reading !
Threads articles: gussets , Feb/Mar 2010, pp. 29-43, thoroughly intimidating! But helpful. On to another, Aug/Sept 2007, pp.46-51, Vintage Patterns, helpful for closure and facing recommendations. Time to sleep on it and redesign. I wonder if anybody else has trouble making dumpy alterations by trying to use measurements…now Today! 🙂
A bunch of things needed to be fixed!
- The front panel pattern pieces didn’t match widths, by the 3/8″ seam allowance included in one, not the other.
- I tried pinching in the waist skirt panel.
- Then I looked at pulling the waist in further.
- Oops, I added widened the back bodice and skirt, but the skirt was way off, must have goofed, so in goes a skirt mid-panel.
- That back skirt is catching & riding up the hips, needs some wiggle room!
- Confidence ebbed, rechecking back width to the pattern.
- The skirt front image looked straight down the side seam, so I started playing, narrowing it.
- The shoulder line isn’t mine 🙂
- Well, guess it was time to think about a gusset since the paper-like fabric is shredding. The Threads article called for a 3″ slash.
- Okay, totally straightened that side seam.
- I widened the front skirt panel a bit, intend to go even further.
- The waist line has returned to Empire, Thank You, Theresa!!
- Taking the flare out of the side seams, I wanted to see how much I might add to the back, so I slit it to see natural spread. A bodice insert, including a couple of pinches at the waist helped, too.
Okay, enough playing, now back to revisions, want to be sure it looks okay before I go to fabric… & I need to work on Gussets– Arrrggh!)