The 1912 Titanic Sewing Project
We started as a group on January 6, 2012…
I made 2 dresses, Summer & Winter:
- The Summer dress (summary)
- Gussets. Magic- I learned and they came out well- Pretty difficult!
- Neck facing. There wasn’t any, not authentic to use, but I wanted to… 🙂
- Bias bands, vintage feature, not seen them lately! They could be welts, No thank You!
- Front panel. This pattern had no instructions, needed thought!
- Fixes: Pattern, Skirt
- Broderie Anglaise, the collar, and collar finishing,
- Muslin fitting, Bodice, continuing!
- Starting the second dress– deep breath!
- The Winter Dress (summary)
- The second Hat!
- Rose Festival Open House
- The first Hat!
- Dress finishing details, Covered Buttons
- The shirtwaist, progress in it: Over blouse
- Couching the black skirt, fitting, skirt finishing work, including horsehair in the hem
- Skirt muslin, layout & cutting
- Using Patternmaker, proprietarty software. I hope they make the leap to update and make this more user-friendly.
- Reference books, so much to learn.
- Finding fabric- starting!, more on fabric.
I saw 1912 in Threads magazine ,in January, and it changed my year. Over ~500
sewers sewists enrolled in The 1912 Project to test 1912 La Mode Illustree patterns for the Vintage Pattern Lending Library. I made two full costumes, both with considerable amounts of hand embroidery. Kate Brown, our Secretary of State joined us in the Portland Rose Festival Parade wearing one of them. They show up at various events. 🙂